Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Monday, February 15, 2010

Gurah, holistic therapy for sinusitis

I have finished the first batch of medicine from my ENT doctor for my sinusitis therapy. During that period, I was seeking information from my friends about their experience with sinusitis diagnostic. Many said that even if you undergo surgery, there's a chance of reocurrence. Man, I don't want it! I have been thinking about Gurah therapy.


I was having a chit chat with my dentist (Ritz Klinik Gigi) while I was being checked for cavity. She's wearing hijab and religious, so I thought she'd know Islamic holistic therapy called Gurah. She doesn't have any experience or know about where the best place to get Gurah therapy, but she mentioned about one clinic which turns out to be near the dental clinic and I pass it everyday on my way to office. It's called Klinik Sehat (http://www.kliniksehat.com/). The next day, I passed it and took note of phone number. I also browsed to the website. I called them up to get some information.
Why I decided to go to this clinic? Because it's combined with western medicine. They've got doctors there so patient can consult the condition with doctor first before doctor decides which holistic therapy to get.


What is Gurah? (Goo-raah)

It's a traditional health treatment that cleanses the upper respiratory tract, and which is believed to be able to cure sinusitis effectively at a low cost.
The treatment, which uses traditional herbal ingredients, including the roots of the Sirgungu plant (Cherodentum serratum), is believed to also be effective in the treatment of health problems like asthma and migraine and is also known to clear the voice; a claim that has tempted many singers to give it a try.
The gurah treatment is quite simple: Ground and mixed herbal ingredients are inserted in the patient's nose while he or she is laying down. The patient is then turned around and lays flat on their stomach.
Not long after turning over, mucus starts to come from the patient's mouth. This is followed by teardrops, as if the person is crying, and finally, mucus also comes out from the patient's nose.


(Source: Jakarta Post)


On February 6, I asked my sister to accompany me, visited the clinic, registered myself to get the treatment. There were 4 patients ahead in the queu. One patient would take 1 hour to get the treatment done. So I had to wait for 4 hours?? No way, I was very sleepy and I also had other things to do. So I decided to come back next week.


On February 13, I went to the clinic early, around 9.15 AM so I can get the first number. Alas, the therapist was attending a symposium that morning and will be back in the afternoon around 1 PM. I asked the administration staff to put me in first place, I had to go somewhere else, but will be back at appointment time. One thing I'm not keen about this clinic is that they don't apply appointment system because they are still using manual system (hmm.... I think they can still make patient appointment), they do first come first serve....

At last, being alone, I managed to get my first Gurah therapy. There was another lady in the room. Two of us had treatment together. Sitting side by side.

This lady had sinusitis surgery in 1998, and now it reoccures. She said she had to lay down for 5 days in hospital, had long gauge stuffed in her nose. Eeksss... that hurts!



How did the therapy go?

1. A bucket, mineral water, tissue paper, plastic bag were prepared

2. The therapist gave back massage to relax the patient

3. Herbal liquid was prepared, I took deep inhale three times to relax the body.

4. My head was in up position, so nose position will be up too. Liquid dropped to both of my nostrils.

5. I felt burn feeling inside my face: my nose, my throat, my ears, my eyes, are all like burning.

6. The mucus started coming out. Tears ran down from my eyes.

I sniffed, as if like having cold. Tissue paper needed here.

7. Small towel dampened with warm water and compressed to my forehead and cheeks to make the mucus easy to come out.

Sometimes I spat to the bucket. Some patients even vomits, that's why we had a bucket.

8. Therapist gave massage to the hand and pressed some health point on the palm to ease patients.

After 1 hour, all effects calming down, and we can go home.



I didn't have much mucus came out, the therapist said it was the effect of the medicine I took. It dried out the mucus. (When I browsed the net and saw pictures if people being treated, I saw how they excrete the mucus soooo much, eeewwww)

When I got home, I felt the effect was still working. I had running nose. Well, let's see if it's working well.



Gurah is good for disease/symptoms in ENT area: asthma, trouble to breathe, allergy, sinusitis, coughing, migraine, etc.

0 comments: