Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Stone Massage

This is my experience while I was in Bali.

Since I was going to get a cash voucher for dining and spa, so why not try something different?

I scheduled my Stone Massage at my last night. Why night? because they give 50% discount for service during 8PM-11PM, hehehe................
And also, after went here and there, it was always nice to get pampered on the last day, so your body would recharge.
Too bad, I had dinner late and I ate too much, Italian buffet. You know I won't miss a thing when I'm eating buffet.

Thirty minutes before my schedule I went to the spa and got prepared.

First, the masseur give me massage on the back. After that, she was ready with her stones. She massage me again with the warm stone. The stone was quite hot, I wonder how she can manage to hold it for a long time. After massaging me, she put the warm stone on the points on my back. I think there were acupuncture points. How did I know? Of course I knew, my mom was an acupuncturist and she used to put the needles on those points on my back.

Ohhhhh................it was so nice! After she's done with my back, she started on my front, but since I was still full, I asked her to skip my belly. Really, it was another interesting massage experience for me. Wished I stayed longer and tried other massage services.


I found out more about Stone Massage:

Hot stone massage is a specialty massage that uses smooth, heated stones. They are often basalt, a black volcanic rock that absorbs and retains heat well.

It is a deeply soothing, relaxing form of massage. The heat helps tight muscles release.

What Happens During a Hot Stone Massage?

*Before you arrive, the massage therapist sanitizes the stones and heats them in 120 and 150 degree water.

* The therapist uses traditional strokes of Swedish massage while holding a heated stone. As the stone cools, the therapist replaces it with another.

* The therapist might also leave heated stones in specific points along your spine, or in the palms of your hand, or even between your toes to improve the flow of energy in your body.

* If you have inflammation or muscle injury, cold stones are sometimes used.


What You Need To Know About Hot Stone Massage:

* The therapist uses many stones of various shapes and sizes.

* The heat of the stones helps muscles release more quickly than in traditional massage.

* You should speak up if the stones are too warm or the pressure too intense.

* Technique is very important. Less experienced practitioners sometimes use too much pressure.

* Small local day spas might have less experienced therapists. If you have any doubts, ask where the therapist learned hot stone massage, and how long she has done it.

*Hot stone massage was invented in 1993 by Mary Hannigan, a native of Tucson, Arizona. She has trademarked her particular style and calls it LaStone Therapy, but most spas offer their own versions.

0 comments: